My shopping cart
Your cart is currently empty.Continue Shopping
The festive season is here! It’s time to eat all the special holiday meals and goodies except, of course, your pet. Don’t forget that not all food should be shared with dogs even if they are looking so cute and giving you puppy eyes. So, what should you keep away from your pet?
Chocolate is toxic to dogs because it contains caffeine and theobromine, which can cause a serious medical emergency if ingested. The darker the chocolate, the bigger the risk. Symptoms usually start to show within six to twelve hours and vary by the amount consumed. Depending on your dog’s weight, small amounts of chocolate can be harmful. With the holidays being just around the corner there will be more chocolate in the house so keep these goodies out of your pet’s reach.
Xylitol, the artificial sweetener used in many baked goods, chewing gum, and candy is toxic to dogs. If consumed it can cause their blood sugar to drop and possible liver failure. If your family likes to hang candy canes on the Christmas tree, make sure to put them high where your dog can’t get to them.
If you are making cake or pie make sure your dog isn’t in the kitchen because if they get a taste of that creamy cake batter, they can have an upset stomach. Usually, cake or pie batter contains raw eggs, which could have salmonella bacteria. It’s best to keep them occupied so give them a dental stick or a chew toy to play with while you are cooking.
Leftovers- Fatty foods and cooked poultry bones
After the holiday meal, you probably will have leftovers of bones and fat from the meat, but most people don’t want to throw that away because their furry friend would love to get a piece of that. Feeding them fatty foods can lead them to have pancreatitis and if you give them cooked bones, it can splinter, block, or make cuts in your dog’s digestive system.
Whether you are decorating the Christmas tree, wrapping or unwrapping presents keep an eye on your dog because tinsel and ribbon can be appealing to them. If ingested symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhea, and decreased activity. So clean up after yourself so your dog won’t!
Do you keep holiday plants such as mistletoe or holly around the house? Many pets love to nibble on plants and these two popular plants have a high toxicity. If consumed the symptoms are vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and excessive drooling. If large amounts of the plant is ingested it could cause your dog to have seizures. Keep these plants far away from your pets to keep them safe and healthy. If you notice any of these symptoms call your veterinarian immediately!